Pre-Trial Blues

On the eve of the pretrial for Little Man's termination, I find myself sad and anxious.





I'm sad because it's going to go to termination and Little Man's mother will be losing her 3 children.  This will have been going on for 23 1/2 months by the time the trial happens in August.  His mother has consistently been present but just not able to parent these three high needs kids.  She's been inconsistent with her skills and ability to adapt.  But she's still been here.  She didn't stop showing up (except a few times but no one can really blame her), she has tried.


Little Man is going to lose his biological family.  The ties that bind them will be severed forever.  This doesn't mean that there will be no more contact, just that it won't be as consistent as it has been. 


I'm sad because a mother is recognizing that she cannot provide and is willing to have someone else take on that burden.  I'm sad because Little Man is losing his other mommy.


I'm anxious because once termination happens, the fight is going to kick up a notch.  Little Man has been with me for the whole time he has been in custody of the state of Kansas.  The other two have been moving from home to home over the course of the whole time. 


DCF does not like splitting siblings up.  They will remove from a placement in order to keep them together.  I understand the mentality behind it but it just means I'm going to have to fight DCF so they will approve a sibling split. 


The siblings have been split for a reason.  That reason is enough and should be enough to keep them split for good.  But I know it will require a fight....


I've never been nervous for court.  It's always been something I just show up for and do my best to represent the part of our story that is important to tell.  But I am nervous for tomorrow.  I am nervous for the fight that is going to come.  


I'm up for the fight.  I will fight for Little Man.  But I am also mourning the loss of a mother and her connection to her children.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Approval

The B Word

Hold onto your pants....