Moving Fast

Back on March 1st, there was a court session.  This is typical as after the first 6 months of children being in care, you have to do a court hearing to see where it's going for the next several months.

At the hearing on the 1st, the state and Little Man's GAL asked for termination.  As in terminating parental rights. On both parents. 6 months is a little early for this, in my experience. For Little Man's dad, I could see this as he's in jail, will be for quite awhile, and had walked out on his mom months ago. But Little Man's mom has been kinda working the case plan.

I didn't attend as I assumed there would be a continuation for at least 4 months.  But, no...the judge was asked by mom's lawyer for a continuation and she gave them 28 days.

March 29, I walked into the courtroom assuming they would be given another couple of months but the state submitted a petition for termination that morning and the judge granted it and set the date for termination trail. May 25.

Dad was at this hearing. He was transported in from prison and is willing to sign over rights for all the kids. He didn't even blink nor talk with the mother of his children.  For all her faults, she was abandoned with three children and pregnant with a 4th that she ended up giving up for adoption last summer.  I don't think she's a good mother but she deserves better than what she's been given in this life.  She's done what she could with what she had.

So, this leaves me with a lot of questions and hope and concerns.  If on May 25th the judge agrees to terminate parental rights, Little Man's mom can appeal and has 60 days to do so. If the judge denies the appeal, Little Man becomes a ward of the state and can be adopted.

If the judge grants the appeal, it's like starting all over and we create new case plans and have her work them. I imagine dad's rights will be terminated, though.

The scary part is how fast this is going.  I mean, Little Man could be mine by the end of the year or this could go on and on for a few years.

I want what's best for Little Man.  If that's his bio mom, then I have to learn to live with that.  But I truly don't believe it is what's best for him.

But is it bad that I'm already planning "gotcha day" activities for when he becomes mine?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Approval

The B Word

Hold onto your pants....