ADHD

Several months ago, Little Man was diagnosed with severe ADHD.  It's not a surprise, at all. Lately, his "quirkiness" is coming out.  I think he's feeling safe and can now "become" himself.  Which means, he starts to show his personality.  And I'm concerned.

He is extremely high energy.  We all knew that from the beginning but it seems like it's getting almost manic.  He can't slow down fast enough to catch himself before he hurts himself or others, break things, or just generally get in trouble.

What I hate is that I'm considering putting him on medication.  His school is working with him to keep him on track but they struggle, daily.  I struggle to keep him from spiraling to the point where he harms himself, me, other or just generally makes bad decisions.


But at some point, I have to help him focus and slow down.  We used to take deep breathes (4 of them) and that was something I had hoped he would take on himself and use to self-soothe but it never seems to "take" unless I did it.  And then there was "FOCUS" which is what I would say and he had to touch my finger with his.  Now I get a lot of eye rolls and huffing instead of touching fingers.

So, the hard decision has been made by me to at least start the conversation.  I did have him on Ritalin for exactly one day last summer, at the urging of his pediatrician.  I will not have him taking that EVER again.  His "quirks" were exacerbated and he was so anxious that it broke my heart.  But I know there are other options.  So I am taking him to KU Med's Early Childhood Development group.  He's been there for his eating issues, for his OCD/Autism issues, and I think they would be able to help me make good decisions about what to try with him.

I don't see this as a magic bullet for him.  I see this as a supplement to what I am already doing along with finding new ways to help him focus.  I see this as a way to help him achieve his potential.  Because telling him to sit still and be quiet means he is spending mental energy focusing on that instead of focusing on what he needs to do.  Even if that looks different to others, it makes sense to him.

So, the 25th, we have a trip to KC to start talking about his behaviors and how we can help him find better ways to work.  I'm hopeful but also hesitant. I don't want a zombie. I want the wonderfully quirky Little Man that I (and EVERYONE else) has come to love and adore and expect.  Just a bit slower and more manageable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Approval

The B Word

My concerns confirmed