Grateful for the "Yes"


Celebrating Thanksgiving is always the time to reflect on all the things in our lives we're grateful for. Being a parent, there is always something we're grateful for. Our kids, their health, our health(ish), the love we have in our lives. But what I never thought about being grateful for was the "YES".

I've always been someone that makes changes quickly. I make decisions quickly and sometimes even without much thought. But when it comes to big, life-changing, decisions I agonize over them, ask everyone their opinion, agonize some more, etc. But ultimately, I already knew what the answer was - deep down in my gut.

The idea to start fostering came to me one day and it wasn't even discussed with anyone. I reached out to our local agency and asked for information. I said YES the minute they asked if I wanted to attend classes. No hesitation.

When I started fostering, my plan was always to get an older child. I didn’t want a baby. I didn’t want diapers. So when I got the call for Little Man, who was five years old at the time, I thought this is it - this is a perfect age. I said Yes. No hesitation. And of course, Little Man showed up, almost like an infant and in diapers. And I thought OK I can handle this. I said YES. After Little Man had been with me for a while, I thought this is great - it’s just the two of us, we don’t need to add anything else to this. We’re going to be great for the rest of our lives. And then I met the manfriend. And I said YES to adding him and his family to our group. No hesitation. And I thought this is perfect this is exactly what I needed, what we needed, this is exactly what I wanted, this is exactly what we are going to look like forever. We didn't need to add anything more to us. Then I got the call for Mr. T. And I thought, NO, he’s 15 months, he’s in diapers - this is not what we need. We’re fine the way we are. But then I met him and it was all over. I said Yes. He is what we all needed. No hesitation.

All this to say - I thought I knew what I needed. You go through life making decisions based on what you think you need to only have that turned upside down and put into question. I am eternally grateful for the unplanned decisions in my life. The times I said Yes because without those Yes's - I would not have the life I have today. I would not have the love I have in my life now. Sometimes, without hesitation, YES is the answer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Approval

The B Word

I Quit...For Tonight