Diagnosis

As Little Man has gotten older, his personality has developed but so has his differences. I don't even know how to explain Little Man to some people so I gave him a label early on. Autism...he's autistic...please be kind to him, he is autistic.

It was easier to explain.  And while it wasn't official, it was still a way to explain him to people.  Because I felt like I had to explain him...prepare people for him.

It is also used as a warning and I hated that. No one should be warned about Little Man. He doesn't need a warning label but in reality, he does. It helps people feel more comfortable around him because he is different. He makes noises or says things that are different and make people uncomfortable. He repeats things and often times doesn't acknowledge anyone else - he lives in his own world.

A few weeks ago we started the process of getting an official autism diagnosis. It's not something I need to know but it is needed for him and his future.  His foster agency wants to set him up with SSI and needed the diagnosis to start that. Once he is on SSI, the state agency will match that for his monthly subsidy.  So he can achieve services and learn life skills.  And hopefully, to have a productive life in his adulthood.

The first appointment was really to discuss him in general terms.  We handed in paperwork that asked a bunch of questions - some didn't make sense, some were hard to answer, and some were funny.  The second session was 3 hours and I wouldn't be with him.

This 3-hour session was the cognitive assessment and evaluation. It was to assess him and his general IQ.  I knew the 3 hours was going to be hard for him but I didn't realize how hard until they came out after only 2 of the 3 hours.  I wasn't part of the assessment so I'm not sure what all happened or was done but it didn't take the whole time.  So, of course, my mind went to the negative and immediately thought "It's all in my head, there's nothing wrong with him and you just can't handle him." 

Which, deep down, I know is not true.  I know that I have provided him with a safe place to be himself. To find himself. And to truly come out of his shell.  I know that he has worked really hard to get to the place he is now.

The last appointment was a one-on-one that told me what I already knew deep down, Little Man has moderate autism level 2.


What this does is open some doors for him.  We have started getting him set up with additional services at school and the Community Developmental Disabilities Organization (CDDO) for our county.  Mostly the CDDO will help him as he ages but we got started now because there is a waiting list...of 8-10 years...YEARS.  That's ridiculous on so many levels.

Along with his diagnosis is the referral to go on and have him further diagnosed as having Fetal Alcohol Syndrome Disorder.  Which is a whole different can of worms but in actuality, it is not much different than autism.  It will pretty much give him a double whammy for life though.  But on the flip side, it will pretty much set him up with SSI and disability and that will be a blessing for him. 

The biggest take away from these diagnoses is that he will get services. He will be taught skills.  He will have support.  Because my biggest fear is that there won't be anyone to take care of him when I'm gone.  Who is going to love my boy the fierce way I do and fight for him?  Because he deserves to be fought for.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Approval

The B Word

I Quit...For Tonight