And Just Like That

Yesterday was court for Little Man. And it was a permanency hearing so I honestly thought we would be moving forward.  Instead....the unthinkable happened.

First, I was made to leave the court room because his bio mom's lawyer said I had no right to be there. Then, it when on for over 30 minutes when it has never gone on that long. And the GAL wouldn't tell me much other than we go back in October but that it didn't go well.

So, here is what I know.  Mom adamantly denies drinking during any of her pregnancies and demanded to call the doctor that diagnosed 2 of her 3 kids with Fetal Alcohol Syndrom (Little Man is in the process of being diagnosed and even his case manager says "he, definitely, has it"). So the judge has required that mom be allowed to call the doctor and talk to them about it.

What wasn't said but is implied is that after October 4th, there is no reason to not send Little Man and his siblings home to her. As a matter of fact, all visits are now going to be unsupervised in her home.  My mind is blown and I can't even begin to tell you how angry and sad I am.

This mother has three very high needs children that are going to need specialized care.  Her IQ is in the 60's and she can't read, drive or write.  How is she going to provide for these kids?  Will she get up every two hours with Little Man to make sure he goes potty so he'll wake up with dry underwear and feel proud?  Will she drive him to feeding clinics, reading clinics, doctor's appointments in completely different towns?

No, the answer is no to all of that.  So, because she has done everything they have asked of her, that makes her a fit mother?  Again, no...the answer to that is no.

He is going to come back into the system. I will keep my home and license open because I know he will come back and I want to be here for him.  But he will not be the same child. He will be broken and I'm not sure he'll ever be able to come back from this.

I'm not sure I'll survive this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Approval

The B Word

Hold onto your pants....