One Year In

I have been a foster parent to Little Man for one year today.  Here is what I have learned being a foster parent for 365 days.

1. This will never get easier but it is worth it.

2. Life changes when you assume it's going to be just you and this other little person. Enjoy it and embrace it. Because I need others and change is good. And having someone looking after me is kind of nice.

3. Denial is how I am operating now but I also know that I need to face the chances of Little Man going back to his bio mother.  So I know I need help, professionally.  Getting someone to talk with and work through issues is important to my mental well-being. I shouldn't count on things just "working out" nor should I depend on my friends and family getting me through things.

4. Changes in Little Man come and go but when there are changes, they are HUGE.  The amount of vocabulary he has now, compared to a year ago (or even a month ago) is astounding.  His need to know things grows and his ability to observe and emulate is breathtaking.  He is reading, he is speaking in full complete sentences and holding intelligent conversations.  He is not in diapers and only wears pull ups at night when I know I won't be getting him up every few hours to go to the bathroom. He dresses himself, he feeds himself, he asks for what he wants.  He has favorite music he wants to listen to. He has opinions based on experience, not what someone tells him he wants or doesn't want.

5. As with any child, I am not cool sometimes. Other times, all he wants is me. The rollercoaster is painful but one I will willingly ride until I'm told to go home.

Omaha Zoo Visit - He loved it.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Approval

The B Word

Hold onto your pants....