730 Days

Today marks me being a foster parent to my Little Man for 2 years. It's hard to believe it's only been 2 years but then also that there is still so much ahead of us.

Here is what I have learned being a foster mom for 2 years:

1. The label "mom" was a hard one for me to wear in the beginning because, in my head, I am not a real mom.  But after 2 years, I am Mom.  I wear that label proud.  I announce my label to anyone who listens.  I've worked really hard to have this relationship with Little Man and I am proud of it. I'm thankful that I have been given this opportunity to become the mother I wanted to be; all because of him.

2. Growth is a constant theme for us.  Not only is he growing physically, but his speech, reading, and writing are leaps and bound better than where he was a year ago.  His personality and sense of humor is growing.  And his sense of self is too.  The growth I see in him is amazing.



My Little Man

3. I am not prepared for the future.  Questions are coming now that I need to prepare for.  About death. About life. About his body. About his role in the world.  I want to protect him from it all but know that I also need to let him find his own way, make his own mistakes, and learn about himself.  It's hard to realize that I won't always be the person he comes to when he needs something.

4. Sharing is still NOT caring.  Little Man and Mr. T are getting along better but only because Little Man knows he'll get in trouble if he doesn't.  But he does surprise me sometimes and is a complete angel with him.  

5. I thought I was tired before but it doesn't compare to the level of exhaustion I feel most nights.  I wouldn't change a thing except maybe get more sleep.

6. The laughter in my life has filled a void I knew I had but was surprised to know how big it was.  My life, prior to 2 years ago, was not horrible but it wasn't fulfilling.  I know my purpose now. I love my purpose and my life.  I feel complete.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Approval

The B Word

Hold onto your pants....