Winding Down

It's definitely not the time to start celebrating but things are starting to wind down in the case of Little Man.  His dad relinquished his rights several weeks ago.  I'm both happy and sad about this.

Sad because he didn't even try to work the case.  He didn't ask to be in contact in the future. He just walked away.  He genuinely showed no interest in his kids.

But I also see the happiness in this because IF he hadn't, we would have had the case drug out for another year.  Little Man would have so much more trauma around his father.  There would have been more behaviors and therapy needed.  I also see that his father knew he could never provide for the three kids.  He has 3 felonies, he was getting clean, and he was in a treatment facility.  He recognized that it was in the kids best interest.  So I respect that.

Little Man's mom is refusing to relinquish.  She wants the court to work for the removal of her rights.  She is willing to sit through 3 days of trial.  To be told why she is losing her kids.  I am both happy and sad about this too.

I'm sad because it's dragging this on even further.  We have to go to trial.  We have to wait through the appeal period and then move on to adoption.  We still have visits (and don't get me started on that), we still have behaviors and we still have the unknown...

But I see the happiness because she is FIGHTING and I will be able to tell Little Man that his momma fought hard to keep him and his siblings.  She fought...she showed up...she was present.  She's facing the task of being removed from the kid's lives, head on. I respect the hell out of her for that.

So...we are starting to see the end of this.  I hesitate to even say any of this because every time I get my hopes up that things are going to change, the state, or the judge, or the workers continue things.  But we are going to trial March 7-9 and that will end things.

The next hurdle is keeping Little Man.  Once moved to adoption, they are going to want to adopt them all together.  All three siblings.  Two other children that haven't lived with Little Man for over 2 years.  Who have sexually abused him.  Who makes him a target for their anger and behaviors. I'm going to have to fight for this and I'm prepared to do just that.  But...the end is near. I feel it in my bones.

I am very much looking forward to not having to fill out paperwork and have monthly visits.  I do know that I will not be fostering beyond the current two in my home right now. I can't do this anymore.  The manfriend and I plan on moving in together this summer and I need to focus on Little Man and Mr. T...

But the work begins after the 9th...adoption paperwork, home studies, and gotcha day celebrations are what I'm looking forward to now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Approval

The B Word

Hold onto your pants....