Bad Day

I realize that some days 5-year-olds have rough days.  Today was one of the roughest days so far, for Little Man.

He woke up in a good mood, we went to school in a good mood.  For all intents and purposes, I thought he would have a good day - like every other school day.

Around noon, I received an email from one of his teachers asking if something had happened over the weekend because he was being very disruptive.

When I went to pick him up after school, I was pulled into the school and spoke to both of his teachers. He kicked one teacher, tackled another kid in assembly, yelled throughout the day, had to be removed from the assembly and was pretty much a complete a-hole to everyone around him.

I made him apologize to the teacher and then we tried to talk about what happened.  Tried being the operative word. Trying to talk to Little Man is like talking into a canyon and getting your own echo back.  He will repeat the last word or two when you talk to him but never answers. I can't figure out the why of it.  He always shuts down when questioned.  Even if it's innocent questions. Not even about what he would like to eat...he shuts down.

I've tried getting down on his level, I've tried talking in funny tones, I've said as few words as possible, I've asked him to not repeat after me. All to no avail.

To make it worse, I put him to bed and around 9:45 tonight (easily 2 hours after he was put to bed) I went to check on him and he was awake and crying.  I pulled him into my lap and rocked him and just told him he was a good boy and that he was OK. Put him back to bed and it just broke my heart.

My little man is broken and sad.  He goes so many days without showing any pain.  When he does, I want him to know he's a good boy and that I'm here for him. I really do not want him hurting, but I know that's not possible.  But I need him to know I'm here for him.  His PaPa and Amee are here for him.  Fi is here for him.  So many people love him and support him.  We just need to find his language so he understands and can tell us what hurts him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Approval

The B Word

Hold onto your pants....