Day of Updates

While I'm going to go over our day, the last bit of our day is what I am on cloud 9 with.  As I've said before, being a foster parent means that I have to be run through the wringer at least once a month.  Today was a day of meetings, walk throughs and appointments.

Little Man woke up in a good mood and was in an even better mood that he didn't have to go to school.  What started as a good mood morphed into an amped up 5-year-old.

When Little Man has an audience, he definitely likes to put on a show and today he had a massive audience.

The morning started with not one, not two but three women in our home checking on him.  His caseworker, my caseworker and his therapist.  These monthly visits consist of him showing them all his toys, his bedroom and sometimes his underwear.

What it's supposed to consist of, is to make sure he is safe (checking that my medicines are locked up, there are no knives in his bed, and he isn't living in the shed in the backyard), he has a place to sleep and that he is thriving.  Which I'd like to think is all YES.

He sees it as an opportunity to put on the biggest manic show of his life.  He runs, he jumps, he screams and he throws stuff.

After the three of them left, we had a follow up appointment with his doctor.  When he came back from visitation, I had to call the hotline with DCF to report possible abuse and that meant I had to take him to the doctor to document things.  This was a follow up appointment to make sure things were going back to normal.

Last meeting of the day was with his GAL (Guardian ad Litem), who is essentially his lawyer in respects to making sure his rights are kept in mind when dealing with his bio family.  We had never met and he is supposed to come see Little Man once a month also.  This was the first time in 86 days he's come.

He made up for it when he brought Little Man not just a car but a semi car carrier that came with 4 cars (and the semi was blue).  Little Man was just so happy.  We took it out of the box and he played with it while his GAL and I spoke.

What I want to highlight about this visit is this:  I asked him, between me, you and the wall...what are the chances he'll go back to his mom. 

His answer was this: "I've been doing this for 30 years and I can tell you from past experience - ZERO CHANCE"

My heart swelled up and I about started crying.  He asked me if he was fighting for him to stay with me or fighting to just not go back to mom and I said "ME"....this little man is mine and I don't want to give him back. I keep my heart at bay because I always knew there was a chance he would be reunited with his mom.  But after his GAL's visit, it gives me hope.  

I won't hold him to it because I know nothing is ever certain.  But it released something in me.  It helps me to think that I have a chance of keeping this wonderful, dirty, smelly, smart, sweet, gorgeous boy for myself.  I have hope........



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Approval

The B Word

Hold onto your pants....