IEP and Progress

I met with Little Man's teachers and therapists this week.  I had a friend of the family who is a retired special needs teacher with me, his foster agency therapist and his social worker at the table too.  There are so many people advocating for this little guy, it's amazing. It never ceases to amaze me how many people are rooting for him.

On the phone was his mom.  I'll admit, I did not want her there or even having any say in this. I know that's not right or nice.  I know that, but it doesn't stop me from feeling that way.  She is not advocating for him and I'll explain that further later, but I will say that I was actually able to keep my cool and talk to her on the phone, at one point, because she wasn't able to understand what was being said. I was able to reassure her that he is doing well and that he will continue to do well.

His IEP is totally different from his first three.  It shows how far he has come in the little amount of time he's been with me and with the school.  It is amazing to see his progress because it's measurable, almost daily.

His IEP is long and detailed.  But it's not undoable.  It includes speech, OT therapy and more one-on-one.  The goals he's having set for him, I think, are low.  His teachers think it's achievable, I think it's achievable, his therapist thinks it's achievable...his mother thinks he is never going to be able to speak or be smart enough to learn these things.  She actually thinks he's never going to speak, she said that on the phone.  Because she can't read or write well, Little Man will never be able to. With her, he will never be pushed to do better or be better.

She spent the first part of the call talking about how she spends so much time teaching her kids everything and then apologizing because he needs this IEP.  She was defensive, angry and just didn't understand.

I think we all agreed that the reason she was having a hard time understanding what was needed is because she, herself, doesn't know these things.  She has such a low IQ, that she doesn't see how he could achieve these things because SHE can't achieve these things.

All I know is that I'm going to do everything for this Little Man so he can prove all these people wrong.  That he can show just how smart, loving and kind he is.  He is going to prove so many people wrong and I look forward to seeing how he blossoms.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Approval

The B Word

Hold onto your pants....