IEP's, Anger and Me

I finally got the last 3 years of IEP's from the bio mom for Little Man.  As I read through them, going from when he was 3 years old, all the way up until July of this year...I am very quickly aware that while they were able to pinpoint a lot of his weaknesses and areas that need to be improved on, NOTHING has really been done to help him.

The same things they saw at 3 years old, he still has at 5 years old.  So why is that the case?  I know part of it may be because of his home life.  Mom noted in his first IEP at 3 years old that he had a "wandering eye" and would get it looked at, but Little Man still has a lazy eye.

They talked about how his vocabulary is many years behind his actual age.  And this is still true.

They talked about how his motor skills are poor and need work.  And this is still true.

So what has been done to help this little man?

And trying to get him enrolled at the local school is going slow because they honestly don't know what to do with him.  He's not potty trained, he doesn't speak well and he needs a lot of OT.  So I'm waiting to hear from them after they evaluate his old IEP's.  Not evaluate him but his old IEP's.

To say I'm frustrated is an understatement but I don't know that I have any right to this anger.  I'm coming in WAY after the fact and while I can be angry, in general, for the situation, I have nothing to direct my anger at because he's in a different situation than most.

But, it's exciting to think that he may be getting enrolled and working with a team that is going to help him move forward.  He will learn to use his fingers (all of them, not just the "pinchers"), he'll learn to speak in full sentences and with the right words.  And he may learn to focus himself so he's not running 90,000 miles a minute.

He is so smart and I am looking forward to seeing him learn new things and start to become aware of his own place in this world.  He speaks of himself in 3rd person a lot and when he sees pictures of himself, he always says his name not "me".  The moment that a lot of teachers talk about, the "light bulb moment" is going to be a constant with him.

This is going to be exciting but only...only if he is given this chance.  He is adjusting. He is thriving in daycare.  But he's with 3-year-olds (and younger) that don't challenge him to do better.

On the flip side, is he going to be judged for not being potty trained right away and teased?  He is just so sensitive that I fear he'll be a target for bullies.

These are all the things and more that keep me up at night.  That keep my mind reeling.  That keep me from being able to get sleep.  I so want this Little Man to succeed that much of my anxiety makes me want to keep him home with me and sheltered so he's not hurt.  But I know that's not the answer.

But, I wouldn't want it any other way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Approval

The B Word

Hold onto your pants....