Progress not perfection

A few days ago I had to endure sitting for a few hours at my cellular store. With a 5-year-old. Who has zero patience.

And you know what?  Someone sent us an angel in the form of another 5-year-old. This little dude came up to Little Man and asked if he wanted to play. 

Little Man was AWESOME!!!!  He got wound up, he ran around and got loud, but he was manageable. 

The sad part was, the other little boy was actually a week younger than Little Man and was well double his size. He wasn't in diapers and he could speak in full sentences. 

But he was so patient with Little Man.

And Little Man had fun.  He was seriously wound up and had to be reminded on a regular basis to use his inside voice.  But he had fun.

Before we left, I stopped at the parents of the other little boy and thanked them for letting him play with Little Man.  I told them he was the same age and they were shocked (like a lot of people are when they find out his age) and I told them that their kiddo was awesome to Little Man and I hope they understood what a great thing that was.

I am starting to realize that my life is COMPLETELY over.  My new life, with Little Man, is one where I have to weigh where I go, who I go with (or without) and how can I make him comfortable. When I was asked how I would rate my overall satisfaction of being a foster mom, I said 10.  When asked if it was what I was expecting, I said 5 because I NEVER expected it to be hard yet rewarding.

I envision a future for Little Man and I. I envision the bad days and the good days.  I envision the struggles and the triumphs.  I see all of it...he and I.  And I know that we can do anything...together.

But if he goes home, I don't see a good future for him.  And that makes me sad.


Playing with another 5-year-old
The box is more interesting


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Approval

The B Word

Hold onto your pants....