My concerns confirmed

So I was asked by Little Man's teacher to meet with her after school today.  Only 3 days in and I'm being brought in...I honestly had a stabbing moment of fear that I forgotten something in his backpack or had done something wrong...like I was being called into the principle's office.

But it turns out that my initial concerns with putting Little Man in kindergarten are confirmed.  After 3 days, his teacher is not sure he's mentally capable of being in kindergarten.

He just doesn't understand what is being asked of him in class, he can't comprehend what they are doing.  He just isn't there. He is struggling and it's just stressing him out.  Which I see...he has huge dark circles under his eyes, he's angry and he's tired.



My options are now limited.  I've called to ask the principle for a meeting. I have to call the group that does assessments and request them to reassess him rather than go off an old IEP.

But since he's 5, it's going to be so hard to get him moved back to pre-school.  Even a special needs pre-school at that.  And because I'm not his educational advocate, there is even less I have control over.

I've called my worker and his worker asking for advice.  I'm going to ask his worker to have educational advocate rights removed from Mom because she doesn't understand why he needs an IEP or even school.

We've worked hard, these last 2 months, and have made strides, but it feels like the last 3 days have been huge steps back.  I want him to be in school and I want him to grow and prosper but not at the expense of 20+ other kids' education and the sanity of a teacher that's been teaching 28+ years and says she has never seen anyone so behind in her career.

She's going to talk to all the right people at the school, I'm going to do my part but in the meantime, Little Man is going to end up stressing out, falling behind and just generally burning out.



Comments

  1. Melissabatson1969@gmail.comOctober 30, 2015 at 10:26 PM

    I am not sure of education laws in Kansas, but in MO they HAVE to provide the appropriate education needs for each child. You are doing the best thing for him. Keep advocating. He will get there. It takes time, stability, love and nurturing. You are doing great.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Approval

The B Word

I Quit...For Tonight