First Day

I'm coming to realize that the only limitations that Little Man has, are usually ones I envision for him.  I was really concerned about his first day of school.  But he did great.  He got a little overwhelmed when we made it to his classroom and I told him no when he wanted to run over to a bucket of letters.  He started to pout, but I quickly diverted his attention.

I left him there and walked home.  I didn't cry (much) after that but I worried all day.  Not because I thought he would be harmed but that he would be too much for them.  I did get an email from his teacher half way through the day and she pretty much told me what I was worried to hear.  He's seriously behind and they are going to have to evaluate how to deal with that.

And it's not academically that he's behind but that his motor skills are like a 2-year-old.  He uses his index finger and thumb almost exclusively to eat and pick things up, he doesn't know how to hold a pencil or scissors.  He can't read simple words and while he knows his letters, he can't recognize words.

She said he had a hard time because he was told No a lot and got angry.  I knew that was going to happen and I got the bad attitude when he got home.  But it was something I had planned for and we played, we yelled and we wrestled.  He brought home work he did in class, a folder that showed he was good all day and the best thing....picture day is November 3rd.  He gets school pictures!! He has flashcards to work on at home and I got a bunch of schedules and handouts for him.

Little Man survived his first day and so did this mom.  Tomorrow will be easier and so on.


I don't hate this photo...what I love is that I was there, I was doing this thing...raising a small child.  And he has built up this trust and love for me.  Not to mention, I wasn't alone.  Fi went with us because she's pretty much parenting him with me and should reap the benefits of all the hard work she has put in.  She put text with it saying "sending a small member of our tribe off to kindergarten today" and how appropriate is that...our tribe is building this little man into a loved boy.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Approval

The B Word

My concerns confirmed