Case Planning

9/9/2015

So, 30 hours of training do not truly prepare you to be a foster parent.  I had no idea that I had the opportunity to be a part of the case planning for the reunification of Little Man and his family.  I got a letter in the mail, telling me time and date.  Now I did not have to attend.  But I wanted to see HER face.  I wanted to hear HER talk. I wanted HER to see me.  If someone had my kid, I would want to see them and hear them talk and see my face.

I drove an hour for the meeting.  While this was not a big deal for me, it did require that I leave work around noon.

I won't go into detail, my thoughts on HER.  None of that matters and is highly steeped in bias.

What I will talk to you about is how helpless I felt and how I feel that the system is not there for the children.  I have expressed some concerns about how Little Man's behavior is, how he has physical issues, and possible further abuse not discussed before.  His worker pretty much dismissed my feelings.  I even mentioned it in the case planning when SHE was out of the room.  And no one seemed concerned.

What I will say is that I feel that there is nothing that SHE can do that will make an environment safe for Little Man.  There is nothing that the system can do to teach HER how to manage a son that has developmental issues, physical limitations, and behavioral issues that need attention.  SHE has 2 other children that she asked about and gushed over.  When asked for strengths of HER children, SHE said that Little Man was a handful, he was mean, had an attitude. He was the reason that they were in this situation.   I told them that he was wicked smart and SHE said "Thank You"... don't thank me for pointing out to you that your child is wonderful, smart and loving.

The other foster family that has the other two children chose to not attend.  SHE was very angry about that and angry that she had to be there.  Angry that she was being judged and that she has to work so hard.

I left there knowing that it was going to be a battle to keep myself from not whisking him away from anywhere she won't be able to find him.  And I left there knowing that I loved him a little bit more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Approval

The B Word

Hold onto your pants....